After nearly 5 years of production, LIO will be discontinued by the end of summer 2019. Read more
There are a handful of reasons that have prompted us to make this difficult decision, but the two most significant are:
1) LIO has always been priced and sold as a ‘factory-direct’ product, but now Vinnie Rossi has officially switched from direct sales to a dealer network.
2) Product demand for LIO has steadily become slower, yet the cost of parts to make LIO has increased (especially in smaller production quantities).
Rest assured, we will still continue to offer LIO modules, warranty service and support to all of our LIO customers going forward.
We are also offering our LIO customers generous trade-up credit towards our new L2 components until the end of 2019. If you are interested, please contact us to inquire.
Thank you for your understanding and continued support!
LIO is a modular audio component with game-changing technology, flexibility, and value. It can be configured as a source component (dac or phonostage), preamplifier, integrated amplifier, headphone amplifier, or any/all of the above!
LIO allows you to enjoy your music collection on a whole new level – one with less complexity, less clutter, fewer components and cables for a purer, more direct and deeper emotional connection to your music. Its transparency, vast spaciousness and visceral impact have left listeners awestruck.
Since its introduction, LIO has earned a fanatical customer following and rave reviews for its revolutionary design and deeply musical, spacious, and engaging way of delivering music.
The LIO BASE UNIT [$2995] includes the chassis with our ultracapacitor power supply, aluminum enclosure (black or silver), solid aluminum remote control handset, LIO Outputs module (RCA outputs) and external power supply adapter. You select the modules you wish to order to complete your custom-built LIO. Click on the tabs below to learn about the various modules available.
LIO INPUTS [$295] module is the perfect answer if you have several analog sources in your system. It offers three sets of analog inputs (RCA jacks), with input switching controlled via the front panel or LIO remote handset. On-board switching of input signals via high quality signal relays keep signal paths as short as possible.
LIO XLR INPUTS [$395] also available – offering two sets of RCA inputs and one set of Neutrik XLR inputs
LIO RVC + Tubestage [$1,190] module combines our highly transparent LIO RVC stepped attenuator with our seductive sounding LIO Tubestage buffer to make a high performance, high value active linestage. The RVC has 64 discrete 1dB volume control steps that are precisely matched between channels. You will always achieve exactly the right volume level with perfect channel balance and imaging.
LIO Tubestage design features Class-A operation, auto-biasing, constant-current tube filament supply, and precision voltage regulation to make this super low noise, high performance design very hard to match. The result is a winning combination of high precision with the warmth and lifelike character that tubes are known for.
- Attenuation range: -63db to unity gain
- 1 dB step size
- Full dual mono switching allows for L/R balance control with no additional circuitry in the signal path
- Balance adjustments in 1 dB steps via LIO remote control handset
- Premium Vishay/Dale film resistors
- Two E88CC dual triodes (one per channel)
- Single-ended, Class-A design
- Auto-biasing (no adjustments needed)
- Auto-mute delay during tube warm-up (approx. 30 second)
- No DC-DC converters – only clean linear voltage regulation
- Output impedance < 200 ohms
- Accepted tubes: 6922/E88CC (included), 6DJ8/ECC88, 7308/E188CC, 7DJ8/PCC88, 6N23, 6H23, 6N11, and 6GM8
LIO MM/MC Phonostage [$1495] excels at retrieving maximum detail from your records’ grooves by means of fewer but higher quality parts. This minimalist design presents an utterly natural sound signature from its all-discrete, Class A JFET topology that employs zero feedback. We use only premium parts throughout with short signal paths. And of course power comes from the pristine and ultra-quiet LIO ultra-capacitor power supply. Its three inputs allow you to connect more than one turntable or arm/cartridge and toggle between them. One input is a dedicated moving magnet (MM) input, and the other two are dedicated moving coil (MC).
Remote Cartridge Loading (RCL) option [add $495]:
- The LIO RCL module allows you to adjust cartridge loading from the perfect location – your listening chair. Optimize your phono system sound by ear, on the fly, while you listen. Perfect sound from any phono cartridge every time!
- 255 individual settings for high precision cartridge loading
- Load Range from 5 to 2000 Ohms
- Two loading ‘presets’ on the remote to quickly compare the sound of two load settings
LIO DSD/PCM DAC (DAC 1.0) [$895] combines high resolution with a rich, natural midrange to provide you with an excitingly involving and musical presentation from any digital audio stream. Via the USB, coaxial, and optical inputs you can connect up to three digital audio sources such as CD players, portable digital audio players (DAPs), media servers, PCs and any other source with digital outputs.
We achieve lifelike sound staging and stereo imaging using a dual-mono implementation with independent AKM d/a converters per channel, allowing you to take full advantage of your high resolution PCM and DSD music files. Add icing onto the cake by combining the DSD/PCM DAC module with the optional tube output stage to provide a greater level of midrange seduction and realism.
LIO DAC 1.0 Features
- Converts both PCM and DSD digital audio streams to pristine analog
- Bit-perfect playback at sampling rates from 44.1kHz to 384kHz (16, 24, or 32 bit compatible), as well as DSD64 and DSD128. Sample rates are viewable from front panel display
- Dual-mono design, with one premium AKM AK4399 d/a chip per channel
- Asynchronous, integer-mode USB functionality
- Select between 0 and 180 degree PHASE settings via remote handset
- Toggle between linear-phase and minimal-phase digital filters via remote handset
- On-board re-clocking circuitry considerably reduces jitter
- Galvanic isolation used for oscillator and re-clocking circuitry
- Ultra-low noise, linear voltage regulators used throughout
- Inputs: 1 USB and 2 SPDIF (75 Ohm coaxial and optical) input jacks
- Connect up to three devices and switch between them via the remote handset
|Playback Bit Rates Accepted (PCM):||16, 24, 32|
|Playback Sample Rates (PCM):||44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, and 384kHz|
|Playback (DSD):||DSD64, DSD128 via DoP|
- Bit-perfect playback at sampling rates up to 768kHz (16, 24, or 32 bit compatible), as well up to DSD512. Sample rates are viewable from front panel display*
- Dual-mono design, with one flagship AKM AK44497EQ d/a chip per channel
- Fully discrete, pure Class-A JFET analog outputs stage design with cascode constant-current source biasing (no opamps)
- On-board FPGA buffer and femto-reclocking circuitry negates effects of jitter. Isolated input stages.
- ‘NOS’ (non-oversampling) filter mode with digital filter bypass, as well as a Minimal Phase digital filter mode (selected via the “FILTER” button on the LIO Remote)
- Absolute polarity ‘normal’ / Absolute polarity ‘inverted’ (selected via the “PHASE” button on the LIO Remote)
- Numerous ultra-low noise, linear voltage regulators used throughout (for both digital and analog sections)
- “Silent” mute ‘reed relays’ (*barely* an audible click from the board when changing tracks of a different sample rate)
- Inputs: 1 USB, 1 Coax (75-ohm BNC, with included RCA adapter) and 1 TOSLINK (optical)
- Connect up to three devices and switch between them via LIO front panel or the remote handset
|Playback Bit Rates Accepted (PCM):||16, 24, 32|
|PCM Playback||Windows PC: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, and 768kHz – driver included. Mac OSX: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, and 768kHz – no driver required. Sonore: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, and 768kHz|
|DSD Playback||Windows PC: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, and DSD512 (both Native mode, and DoP) – driver included. Mac OSX: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 (DoP) – no driver required. Sonore: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, and DSD512 (both Native mode, and DoP)|
LIO MOSFET AMP [$895] uses a class AB output stage allow for very strong current delivery into real-world speaker loads that typically dip well below the nominal 8-ohm rating. It can drive all but the most power-hungry speakers with stunning clarity and linearity. Ideal for listeners who favor quality over quantity, it is fast on its feet and deeply musical. It conveys the true emotion from your recordings (even at lower listening levels) that few amplifiers can rival.
· Power output: 25wpc @ 8-ohms, 45wpc @ 4-ohms
LIO Headphone Amplifier (HPA) [$695] is a great choice for serious listeners who demand high resolution, ultra-low noise and deep musical involvement from their headphone listening. It is rare to find a headphone amplifier that offers a seductive presentation, awesome dynamics, high resolution, and the ability to drive such a wide range of headphones. The LIO HPA will keep you listening in your private world and enjoying every minute!
- Either single-ended or balanced outputs (via 6.35mm stereo jack, or 4-pin XLR)
- Low output impedance < 1-ohm
- Can drive a minimum headphone impedance of 8-ohms