Click on the tabs below to learn more about the innovation inside Vinnie Rossi products.
Pure DC-4-EVR Ultracapacitor Technology
The AC power that comes into your home to power your audio system is prone to voltage fluctuations and to picking up noise from household appliances. Both get in the way of maximum audio performance. Many audiophiles use expensive “power conditioners” to reduce the problems – but not eliminate them entirely. We have a better way.
Both LIO and VR120 feature an all-new, patent-pending power supply design that isolates all audio circuitry from the AC mains power.
“PURE DC-4-EVR” technology employs ultracapacitor banks in place of conventional AC power or batteries. While one bank of ultracapacitors is feeding isolated DC current to the audio circuits, the other bank is charging. The audio circuitry is NEVER connected to the charging ultracapacitor bank and is isolated from the AC mains. This approach provides dramatic performance and durability advantages over every other power supply technology – whether AC or battery powered.
Compared to traditional AC powered components:
- LIO / VR120’s audio circuits are isolated from the AC mains.
- AC hum and noise is rendered negligible for a “black” background from which the subtlest musical information emerges with clarity.
- No need for expensive power conditioners, “audiophile” power cords or dedicated power lines.
- High current supply – as there is no AC to DC conversion inside the component, so LIO/VR120 has no transformers or bridge rectifiers that choke instantaneous current and make noise. You will enjoy greater dynamics with tight, precise bass response along with more open and extended treble.
Compared to battery powered components:
- Super-fast charging time.
- Lifespan rated at 1,000,000 cycles (compare that to 2,000 cycles for the best Lithium battery topologies), so you will never need to replace the ultracapacitors.
- Higher current output to run LIO / VR120’s MOSFET power amplifier.
- Environmentally friendly – uses no heavy metals and has no disposal issues.
- Maintenance free.
- Ultra-low internal resistance of < 0.003 ohms per cell – our cleanest, highest-current DC power supply yet!
- No memory effects
The end of obsolescence, the rebirth of lasting value.
LIO is a modular system that gives you the ability to add features and upgrades at any time. It is designed for long-term ownership, with the ability to easily configure it for your current and future needs.
Unlike conventional high-end audio components, where multiple boxes are connected to each other by costly noise-and-distortion-inducing interconnect cables, LIO offers a modular approach combats planned obsolescence and offers the highest value by consolidating multiple functions into one chassis and power supply. Compare the cost of a well-configured LIO with the cost of similar high performance separate components. LIO will cost you hundreds, even thousands less and will never become obsolete!
With LIO you can configure a system that perfectly combines all of your current audio needs into one chassis. When you are ready to add functionality or upgrade to new technology, LIO is 100% user updatable via plug in modules (no soldering or special electronics knowledge needed). You never have to take a big loss on a used component sale to get the latest LIO design.
- Clean and intuitive user interface
- Front panel display, and mode select to view operational data (Volume level, Input source, DAC frequency, Phonostage loading, display on/off)
- Full function remote control included
- Easy to remove sliding top plate for quick access to internal modules
- Dedicated, low noise linear power regulation and isolation between modules
- Small, external ac/dc power adapter – keeps any ac noise away from your music
- User-replaceable front, side, and top plates to allow for the customization of the product aesthetics at any time.
Optimized Signal Path
Some people have come to believe that audiophile grade interconnect cables make systems sound better. We don’t see it that way – a cable’s job is to get signal from Point A to Point B without changing it. A cable can’t improve the sound; it can only avoid making it worse. Very good cables simply get out of the way, but the best cable is no cable!
The kinds of cables that have near-zero signal effect tend to be expensive. A typical system with multiple separate sources would need at least four pair of interconnect cables ranging in total cost from $400 for low-mid-grade to $2000 for high-mid-grade, to many thousands for cost-no-object cables.
LIO has a better way. Each Performance Module is connected to other modules and the LIO’s PURE DC-4-EVR power supply via LIO’s unique motherboard that neatly routes audio signal and power traces. These signal and power paths are extremely short (just a few inches – not meters) to avoid picking up noise from external devices. LIO’s Optimized Signal Path approach also avoids the distortion effects generated by the added resistance and capacitance that even the best cables introduce. With LIO you do not need distortion-inducing interconnect cables at all. What could you do with a spare $2000?
Shielding and Noise Suppression
A vital element for the purest, most accurate and most realistic audio experience is negligibly low noise. Besides its PURE DC-4EVR ultracapacitor power supply, all LIO components and the VR120 Power Amplifier utilize other technologies to ensure that your music emerges from a black background.
There are no power transformers inside the chassis that could induce hum and noise. All performance modules are isolated from each other via their own dedicated linear regulators that are fed from a clean ultracapacitor supply.
LIO’s power grounds, analog grounds, and digital grounds are all isolated from each other and star grounded directly to the aluminum chassis.
But external sources can also introduce noise into any component. For example, interconnect cables can pick up radio frequency (RF) and electro-magnetic field (EMF) noise from a variety of sources including common household appliances, audio, video, and computer components as well as cellular and Wi-Fi devices. The integrated nature of LIO means there are fewer interconnect cables in your system, minimizing the possibility of introducing noise. We are fond of saying “the best sounding cable is no cable.”